Monday, November 4, 2013

Coincidence?

 

Hijra (Islam)

...

The Migration

Upon receiving divine direction to depart from Mecca, Muhammad began taking preparation and informed Abu Bakr of his plan. On the night of his departure, Muhammad’s house was besieged by the appointed men of Quraysh in order to do away with him next morning. Muhammad had certain deposits of Quraysh who used to do so because of Muhammad’s honesty. Muhammad handed them over in the charge of Ali and directed him to return the deposits to their owners, and asked him to lie down on his bed assuring him of God’s protection. It is said that when Muhammad emerged from his house, he recited the ninth verse of sura Ya-Seen of the Quran and threw a handful of dust at the direction of the besiegers, with result that the besiegers were rendered unable to see him.[20] Soon Muhammad joined Abu Bakr, left the city, and the two took shelter in a cave outside the city. Next morning, the besiegers were frustrated to find Ali in Muhammad’s place. Fooled and thwarted by Muhammad’s plan, they rummaged the city in search for him,[21] and some of them eventually reached the threshold of the cave, but success eluded them. When the Quraysh came to know of Muhammad’s escape, they announced heavy reward for bringing Muhammad back to them, alive or dead. Unable to resist this temptation, pursuers scattered in all directions. After staying for three days, Muhammad and Abu Bakr resumed their journey and were pursued by Suraqa bin Malik. But each time he neared Muhammad’s party, his horse stumbled and he finally abandoned his design of capturing Muhammad.[10] After eight days’ journey, Muhammad entered the outskirts of Medina around June 622 CE,[22] but did not enter the city directly. He stopped at a place called Quba, a place some miles from the main city, and established a mosque there. After fourteen days’ stay at Quba, Muhammad along with Abu Bakr started for Medina, participated in his first Friday prayer on the way, and upon reaching the city, was greeted cordially by its people.
(SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_%28Islam%29)



THE ADESH

Extract from A.B. Purani’s transcript of a talk of 28 June 1926 (PTMS 12, pp. 215-16).
Haradhana - Is it a fact that you came away straight to Chandranagore from the Dharma office & the CID’s by God’s grace were not there?
Shri A - I was at the Karma Yogin Office & we knew about the search that was going to be made evidently with the object of arresting me. There were some people there & Ramchandra was there proposing to give a fight to the Police & so many other ideas were flying about when suddenly I heard a voice from above saying “No. Go to Chandranagore” —.
After coming from the jail I used to hear voices & in those days I used to obey them without questioning. & I told them that I would go to French India — & then arrangements were made & the CID’s I don’t know whether by God’s Grace or the prostitutes’ grace but they were not there.
Haradhana - And about coming to Pondicherry also you heard a voice[?]
Shri A - “Yes” that is quite true.

4

Extract from a letter of 5 January 1936 (published in Letters on Yoga (1972), p. 40).
As for Adesh, people speak of Adesh without making the necessary distinctions, but these distinctions have to be made. The Divine speaks to us in many ways and it is not always the imperative Adesh that comes. When it does, it is clear and irresistible, the mind has to obey and there is no question possible, even if what comes is contrary to the preconceived ideas of the mental intelligence. It was such an Adesh that I had when I came away to Pondicherry.

5

Extract from Nirodbaran’s transcript of a talk of 10 December 1938 (NTMS 9, p. 1).
Q - Why did you choose Pondicherry as the place for your sadhana?
A - Because it was by an ‘adesh’ I was asked to come here. When I was leaving Bombay for Calcutta I asked Lele what I should do re my sadhana. He kept silent for some time (probably waiting to hear a voice from the heart) and replied, “meditate at fixed time and hear the voice in the heart.”
I didn’t hear any voice from the heart but a different voice.…

6

Extract from Nirodbaran’s transcript of a talk of 18 December 1938 (NTMS 9, pp. 128-29).
After another arrest, I published the Karmayogin. There I wrote an article “open letter to my countrymen” for which the Govt wanted to prosecute me. While the prosecution was pending I went away secretly to Chandernagore. And there,3 as I was thinking what to do next, I heard the adesh “Go to Pondicherry.”
Q - Why to Pondicherry?
A - I could not question. It was Sri Krishna’s adesh. I had to obey. Later on I found it was for my yogic work that I was asked to come here.4

No comments: